Thursday, July 22, 2010

Yasso's suck.

I owe a post to my Yasso 800 workout for a couple of reasons.
1. I talked about them, and never gave the results.
2. I actually did them, and feel like I have bragging rights.
3. My legs still hurt 2 days later.

To refresh your memory- Yasoo 800's are done to train to run a certain pace for a marathon. The theory is, if you can run 10 consecutive 800's at 4:00 minutes each, you can run a marathon in 4 hours. If you can do them in 3 mins 30 seconds, you'll be able to do a 3 hour 30 minute marathon. Well, I've been struggling with what time to try and beat during my race. I've run a half marathon at 1 hour 57 minutes. Since that's only half of my race, I can't really extrapolate that out to a 4 hour marathon. Or can I? I've said it before, but I'm just trying to run what feels comfortable in all of my runs. On my 14'er I was right around a 9 min/mile pace. I think the real test is going to 18 miles in a couple weeks. For now, I'm thinking around 4-ish hours.

I decided to document the workout, so we'll do this post through pictures. (Nick- I told you I would cater to your reading capabilities, HAHA, Just kidding!!)


--Here we are on the warmup run--we're smiling because the pain hasn't set in yet.


Some of our neighbors flowers. They're curb appeal deserves to be on that show (of the same title). Whoever lives there has gardening down! It's so bright and cheerful to run past- it's great on the way home.

We're about to begin, and I'm super nervous. I have done a lot of speedwork on the treadmill the past couple of years, but it's been a really long time since I've done it on the track. Plus, I have a complex about 800's because it was my favorite race in track. I wasn't great- trust me, but my PR was 2:28 (or something like that). I could just picture my coach telling me to go faster, and those stupid girls from Eau Claire in their glitter and short purple shorts kicking my ass. It didn't take me long to relax...and then tense up again because these were really hard. Here's how it went:

1st 800: 3 mins 30 seconds
400 jog
2nd 800: 3 minutes 40 seconds
400 jog
3rd 800: 3 minutes 40 seconds
400 jog
4th 800: 3 minutes 42 seconds
400 jog

UNDER 4 MINUTES? Granted, I've only done 4....but I bet I can build up to 10 the way I'm going. I guess we'll see, won't we?!

Here's the aftermath- Phil just had to take this picture. I think it's his revenge for me taking so many pictures of him.



-I know, I look like I'm going to die. Which is basically how I felt.

The workout deserved some amazing food, so I made eggplant parmesan. I've been screaming it from a mountain top, so I'm surprised if you're reading this and didn't know about it. The fruit of my labor!




That's all for me tonight! Rest tomorrow and 15 miles on Saturday. Enjoy your next couple of days!
-Haylea

No comments:

Post a Comment