Wednesday, July 7, 2010

early morning running club.

It's official, I'm a member of the early morning running club. This morning I woke up at 4:20 a.m. and went for my 6 mile run. Did you guys hear that? 6 miles before work. I am still in shock...or maybe just exhausted, I don't quite know yet. I won't have time to run it tonight, or tomorrow night so I had no other choice. Well, I could have skipped but that's not going to get me to the finish line, is it?

First of all, it is still hot and muggy at 430 am. I couldn't believe just how humid it was! I was dripping at the end of the run. I ran out for 30 minutes, and back. On the way out, I only saw 4 other people! It must be too early for humans because I only saw 4 people on my way "out" but a lot of animals. I ran into exact 12,358 gnats (10,000 smacked into my face), 2 raccoons, a demented squirrel who didn't know what was going on, a bunny and a deer (in a parking lot nonetheless). The doe was incredible- she was just standing there, grooming herself. I think she was just as suprised to see me as I was her- I'm sure she was like "what the hell...humans already? this is going to be just a fantastic day...where's my coffee?" I heard the birds having their morning cup of joe, and actually enjoyed it! Usually I want to throw rocks at them out my window for their morning songs, but today I felt more like Cinderella than the Wicked Stepmother towards them.

Once I turned around, it was as if equilibrium had shifted and the animals went back into their hiding spots. I saw around a dozen people running/biking/walking dogs instead of animals. I was literally dripping by the time I turned around and imagine the humans were just as scared of me as the demented squirrels. The humming of air conditioning teased me on my way home. I visualized being in a zero-humidity zone, with cold water and NPR playing in the background. I had a considerably fast pace today, and pushed up Long Legs Larry, and went as fast as I could home.

When I got home Phil looked so proud. So often he gets up and goes for a run while I sleep in (and by sleep in, I mean get up at 5:25) He was getting ready to run to work, (he's nuts...yes, Phil...you're nuts) and said "welcome to the club" I have a feeling this isn't going to be the last morning run I'll do....

-Haylea

No comments:

Post a Comment