Monday, July 12, 2010

Running makes me hungry!


Since I've been running I feel like I've "earned" the right to eat more. It makes sense right? Lose more calories, eat more calories. Give and Take. Well, I don't think the calories I've been eating are the right ones. McDonald's probably isn't a good diet, and drinking diet coke during the day isn't helping either. (shame on me!) Now, let me say something here about dieting- it's OK that I watch my diet people!

Whenever I say something of this nature (meaning, "yikes, I probably shouldn't eat that...) the typical response I get is annoying. Yes, I said it. ANNOYING. "What, you're little like you need to watch what you eat!" "You don't need to watch what you eat, you look great!" "If you're watching what you're eating, I really need to diet!" At this point I typically disengage and chalk it up to you not knowing a thing about nutrition. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an expert by any means. However, I think it's fairly basic knowledge to understand that in order to stay active you can't eat a lot of fat, and empty calories. Do you see Lance Armstrong chowing down at BK every morning for breakfast? In order to stay active and fit you need to eat natural foods that give you energy, the right amount and kind of fat, and make your food work for you. Beyond eating to get through my long runs, when I'm not running as much I understand I can't eat as much. Again, it's the whole give-take thing. I feel like it's a little degrading when people don't understand this about me. In fact, I often shut-down during these kinds of discussions because I'm the runner-girl, and people don't think I have ever struggled with weight. Puh-lease! Who hasn't?! Especially as a female?! I will even go as far as over-eating in front of people so they won't give me crap about 'not eating'. It's just as embarrassing to be called out for being skinny as it is to be called fat. It just doesn't make sense to me that people think it's OK to comment, in public about someones body type- you would never say "oh my gosh I can't believe how fat you are" to someone, right? Ok, enough ranting....

Tonight I made a new dish, taken from www.cookinglight.com It's a chicken and veggie tostada, and was amazing! I thought it was really tasty, but I'm always waiting to see what Phil has to say about it. He loves Mexican food- if I made it every night for the rest of his life he'd be so happy. To complement the tostadas, I made a black bean salsa. For this I just put some black beans, fresh roasted corn, red onion, garlic, avocado and cilantro in a bowl and mixed. The recipe for the tostada is below- make it for dinner this week! (picture above!)

Chicken Tostada with Summer Vegetables

Ingredients

  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 12 ounces chicken breast tenders
  • 1 cup chopped red onion (about 1)
  • 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
  • 1 cup chopped zucchini (about 4 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup green salsa
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
  • 4 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Preparation

Preheat broiler.

Combine first 3 ingredients, stirring well. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over chicken. Add chicken to pan; sauté for 3 minutes. Add onion, corn, and zucchini to pan; sauté for 2 minutes or until chicken is done. Stir in salsa and 2 tablespoons cilantro. Cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring frequently.

Working with 2 tortillas at a time, arrange tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet; lightly coat tortillas with cooking spray. Broil 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Spoon about 3/4 cup chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla; sprinkle each serving with 1/4 cup cheese. Broil an additional 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, chicken mixture, and cheese. Sprinkle each serving with about 3/4 teaspoon of remaining cilantro. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
398 (30% from fat)
Fat:
13.1g (sat 5.9g,mono 4.1g,poly 1.2g)
Protein:
32.5g
Carbohydrate:
36.7g
Fiber:
3.1g
Cholesterol:
75mg
Iron:
1.4mg
Sodium:
799mg
Calcium:
236mg

No comments:

Post a Comment