Saturday, August 28, 2010

20 Miles!

This week's long run was 19 miles.  I woke up late, 5:35 a.m- (yes that's late!) and started to get ready for the run.  It was sunny and beautiful out by the time we (Phil came with) left around 6:15-6:20.  We took the usual route through Menomonee parkway to the New Berlin bike trail.

Our turnaround point was after Sunnyslope on the bike trail-9.5 miles-1 hr 35 mins.  Getting there was a little struggle, but not too bad.  I hate to get graphic here, but I was paid a little visit from Aunt Flo, and have been cramping really bad.  It was not fun to run with cramps, but the silver lining is it took the pain away from my legs.

As per the usual, after the turnaround point we were doing really well.  We hit the 2 hour mark, and were still doing well...and then 2:30, and still doing well!  That's at 15 miles!!  I was in that runner's high and felt like I could keep going past 19. SO, at 3 hours, we climbed Long legs Larry.  With only a few blocks to go, we switched it up and added an extra mile!  We ended at 3:13- 7 minutes faster on the way back even with adding a mile!!  Our average pace was 9:39/mile!!  

The happiness quickly subsided once we stopped.  I could literally feel the lactic acid pooling in my quads.  Phil stretched me out- which was ridiculous- it felt like torture.  A quick shower, some grub and an episode of the Bachleor Pad and I'm doing pretty good.  I've got a nagging headache, but all things considered I'm doing really well.

This has given me the confidence back that I needed to finish this last month of training.  2 more long runs (20, 22 miles) and I'm onto the big race. I can't believe I'm actually doing it!  I'm a lot of talk but rarely action so I'm so proud of how far I've made it- bad runs and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment