Tuesday, August 17, 2010

There goes your social life.

I've been thinking a lot about the race lately.  Just writing about it makes my heart beat a little faster.  Considering I signed up in January, 6 weeks to go seems like it's coming up quickly.  I feel like I'm planning a wedding. It's labor intensive for months, you plan everything from which socks work best, to deciding that bangs can wait because they'll be a pain in the ass to pin up during the race (I just want bangs for the love of God!!) You wear lucky underwear the day of your race (much like your wedding...lucky for a different reason though- bada bing!) Like most brides, I'm not really going to be able to eat during the day, and I'll feel drunk by the end of it (except it's from delusion, not champagne)  It's all so similar...  except that I don't get to wear a pretty dress (or do I? The do make running skirts...)  The point is, it's been a long journey and the main event hasn't happened yet.

When I signed up, I knew the obvious sacrifices.  I'd seen Phil prepare for his marathons, and played a role in a lot of the prep work for it.  One thing I was prepared for was my hunger level.  I'll never forget how Phil came home from a really long run (20+ from what I remember) and I had made him a black bean pasta, with lots of veggies, avocados on the side, etc.  It was chalk full of nutrients, protein, etc.  He mowed down on that dish.  So that, I was prepared for.

I knew I wouldn't be drinking as much, which was cool with me.  Not that I'm a huge lush or anything but it's nice to have a cocktail or two (or 6) on the weekends.  I was prepared for that aspect because during Phil's training he cut it out, which basically meant I cut it out...or drank by myself at home which is pathetic to admit.

The strain on my legs should have been obvious, but it wasn't.  I didn't prepare for just how painful they've been. This took me by surprise in a good way.  My legs are definitely tired, and I mean dog-tired.  I ran 1.5 miles (that's a warm up folks) and my legs were tired.  I know it's because I did 18 miles this weekend, but man have they been sore.  I've also underestimated the benefit of the part after the run- you need to stretch, ice, stretch, hydrate, etc.  I'm terrible at this, which is probably why I'm so sore.  The flip side is I didn't anticipate on how strong they'd feel.  Running a few miles seems like a breeze now.

Another element of surprise is the amount of laundry that accumulates during the week!  With the distances I'm running, and the fact that I'm kind of a sweaty person anyway wearing a shirt 2x is not an option.  Luckily, I don't mind laundry :-)

Now, the part that has really taken me by surprise is my lack of social play time.  As I mentioned before, my alcohol consumption has been down. Being in my 20s means people congregate in bars, until wee hours in the morning.  Friday nights have become 'Haylea's a Grandma" night.  I should have taken up knitting, that would have been exciting compared to what I've been doing.  With long runs on Saturday I go to bed at like 10 p.m. on Fridays.  I'm actually certain there are Grandmothers who are more socially inclined than I am on those days.  They're probably up playing Rummy with their girlfriends drinking wine, while I'm in bed dreaming about miles and miles of running.  I'm making jokes about it, but it genuinely is no fun.  I turn plans down, and feel disconnected from friends because of it.

Saturdays are also lonely days.  Due to hangovers, my friends aren't likely to get up and want to go for a jog, or bike with me.  Nor, would they like to come over and watch movies because I'm so sore I can't walk.  Again, exaggeration- I'm sure they'd love to.  This summer we've had so many weddings that Saturdays have been pretty fun actually.  I just have to be less fashion forward because my shins will fall off if I wear heels after a long run.  (Who am I kidding, let them fall off. My calves are looking good in heels nowadays! haha)  With lazing around and weddings, Saturdays are booked.

Which brings us to Sundays.  Normally a day in my life where I'm hungover, order chinese and go to the beach.  Not this summer.  This summer, I've dedicated Sundays to getting all the stuff done around the house that I wasn't able to on Saturday.  All that laundry I previously mentioned needs to be washed because it's not polite to run naked.  The dishes from my monster meals need to be washed.  My dog needs some attention.  Once again, friends aren't really keen on coming over and watching me scrub my floors.

I've also been put in sticky situations where I am scheduled to run in less than ideal conditions.  Anyone remember Kegslam 2010? How about when I ran 12 miles the night before a 2-day Alpine extravaganza?  This weekend I'm going camping (no showers + running 13 miles. Bunkmates will love me) and will want to drink around the fire, and not wake up and go running but recount the night with my friends.  The day of my longest run during training (22 miles) is the morning of a good friend from work's wedding.  (Upside- he said it's a buffet, so I should be able to eat enough at least :-) )

The day before my marathon? Normally it would be spent maxing and relaxing, drinking water and carbo loading, right?  Not in this girl's life.  No, Farm Aid is coming to Miller Park, which is a walkable distance from my front door.  This concert only happens once a year, folks and includes legends like Willy Nelson and Neil Young. Dave Matthews will be there as well. I would normally say no but my better half is obsessed with those performers and got us expensive floor seats.  Plus, his parents, sister, cousin, and all of our tailgating friends have tickets.  Unless I want to spend the day at home alone obsessing, I guess I'll be maxing and relaxing to Willie Nelson in person.

Before I end this, let me say I am excited to complete this race.  It's a huge moment in my life, truly unforgettable.  The experience I'll gain that day outweighs any of my sarcastic remarks about being a loser on Friday nights.  In fact, they serve beer in the tents afterwards, so if that's not motivation I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment