Thursday, October 7, 2010

What's next?

That's the question I'm asked the most now that the race is over.  Well, that and "Are you addicted?"  Yes.  I think I am, folks.  It was such a great experience to do the race that the training doesn't seem cumbersome anymore.  Maybe I should go back and reread my posts because I know there were days that I didn't want to walk, much less run, yet I had to somehow run 8 miles.  But, that's so far long gone that I've already forgotten about it. Since I've been asked so much, I've given it some thought.  Here are some reasons (in no particular order) why I'd like to do more:

1. I have to break 4 hours.  It's not a question anymore, I have to do it.  If I'm consistent in my mileage over the next year, and start running faster there's no reason why I can't drop 12 minutes for next year's race. (Ok, this is probably my #1 reason- the rest aren't in order though)
2. It's something Phil and I can do together.  We've already proven that we're good distance partners, and both enjoy it.  Phil's been doing it longer than I have, but I'm only 15 minutes slower than his best time so we could do some great training together.
3. Health benefits.
4. Energy. I didn't work out the past couple of days, and today I felt gross, sluggish and overall heavy.  Running specifically is a source of energy for me now.
5. Hot legs.  They're not there yet, but they will be.
6. Free shirts.  Yep, it's true. I like free things.  AND, the general rule is the longer the race, the nicer the shirt.
7. Bragging rights.
8. Keeps me from drinking too much (well, the night before a long run anyway)
9. Gives me an excuse to drink.  I earned it, right?!
10. Cute running clothes.  Like the jacket I got from Phil as a gift for finishing my marathon (LOVE IT!!)
11. An excuse to listen to pop music.  Lady Gaga is my hero when I'm running.
12.  Stress reliever.  Training was a little stressful, but it also gave me a ton of time to think, and really run the stress out of my body.
13. Wilson needs exercise, and if he doesn't get it it's going to drive me nuts.  I hate throwing the ball in the house so if an hour run can knock him out a little, I'm all for it.

My next mission is to find more races.  I'd really like to have a half marathon to train for during the winter, but that means I'd have to travel to get to the race.  I don't mind doing that, in fact I'd love to but this winter we have a couple trips planned already so it probably won't work out.  Eagle River 1/2 marathon is in May, so we'll definitely do that one.  I just wish there was something before that.  This is really a downside of having a winter season.  I read a blog about a runner in CA, and she gets to race all the damn time because it's always summer!  I do have a couple of races planned for the next couple of months- this weekend is a 5 miler, Briggs & Al's run downtown.  Then in November I'll do the Turkey Trot, which is a prediction run.  I guess those will have to do until I find another longer one.

For now, I'm going to focus on keeping my mileage up, and getting some speed workout in.  I'll be reacquainting myself with the treadmill (joy.).  If anyone has some suggestions about races let me know!

-Hayls

No comments:

Post a Comment