Thursday, September 30, 2010

Prepping....

It's Thursday, so only 2 full days stand in the way of me running my first marathon!  I'm having to start really prepping for it.  Yesterday I printed off maps for all the peeps coming (thank you Phil, Wendi, Mom, Danny & Nikki, Vogels, and Dave & Ginger!!) and decided where it'd be easiest for everyone to be.  The cool thing is I watched Phil run it last year, so I was very familiar with the map and what are easily accessible places to be.  Phil had run it so he knew where it would have been nice to see someone.  To confirm the course, we drove it.  Let me tell you- it's LONG!  I know, 26.2 miles long.  But seriously, it took forever because it's mostly a 25 mph zone, and people were creeping last night, driving super slow.  But, I'm really glad we did it so I know just how long it is.  I think the hardest part is going to be getting to the top of the hill, right around mile 23.  It's a gradual incline to it which shouldn't be a problem, but I'm guessing there aren't many spectators at that point and it's going to be mentally tough.  Plus, once I crest the hill and start coming down it's only 3 miles to the finish.  In fact, you can probably see and hear the finish almost the entire way you're running. It's a straight shot, that I've run a ton because I use to live at the end of the road (basically on top of the hill parallel to the park we finish in).  So, at least it's familiar territory.  I just know it's going to be a torturous stretch because it's so long and boring.

I've got a list of things to do Friday and Saturday.  Friday, immediately from work I'll drive down to the Kern Center to get my packet. Then, I'll probably pack- I have to have my clothes ready, plus my before, during and after bags ready.  Before the race will include sweats that I'll put in a bag and send to the finish line so I'm not freezing at the start.  The during will be what Phil & crew will keep with them- water, gatorade, gels, extra clothes (just in case!) etc.  After bag will have a couple towels (you wouldn't want me sitting in your car that sweaty, would you?) fresh clothes, water, flip flops, etc.  Maybe a little overkill, but I'm anal and being over prepared makes me comfortable and calms me down. So, that will get done tomorrow.

Saturday I'm going to the farmers market and grocery store to make sure I have ample food for that day, plus the day of the race and Monday (recovery day).  They have amazing fresh veggies right now, especially eggplant and Brussel sprouts (which it turns out I love!) PLUS, my Mama, Brother & his girlfriend are coming!  I promised a spaghetti dinner, with garlic bread (bro's request) for Saturday night.  I'm really excited they're coming because Phil will be at Farm Aid and I'll be home alone bored and stressing out.  Plus, I just haven't seen them in such a long time. I'm also going to run to the movie store and stock up on movies for Saturday night and Monday.  Then, the other task on Saturday is to shower before bed, shave the legs (haven't done it for almost 2 weeks based on superstition from high school!) and basically get ready for the race. I want to be able to flip on the coffee, pop the bagel in the toaster and have everything set.

The weather is looking good so far- low 50's for a high, sunny.  I'll take it- I'd rather have it be a bit cool than too warm.  Plus, I really like my hot pink long sleeve shirt and want to wear it. :-)

For race day, I thought this was something cool the race is offering.  The timing chip company has a Facebook App that will post your times as you cross certain mile markers during the race.  So, when I cross mile 13.1, it will post my time on my wall!  How cool is that?!

For tonight, I'll be carbo cramming (I love using that as an excuse to eat pasta) with eggplant rigatone.  SO delish.  Next time I right, I'll be even close or perhaps done with my first marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment